1. Welcome to LilyPad. Download the project, explore the forums, and create your own LilyPad network.

If you use the software and enjoy it or have a question, or would like to contribute to the future of the software directly or through resources, please sign up and join our little community.

Can LilyPad... || What Features are there?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Maddis, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maddis

Maddis New Member

Hi,
    due to the lack of documentation I wondered several things, I know that this is quite fresh, so I can understand why there is rather less information, so here are some questions that came to me.

First things first: Why should I use LilyPad and not BungeCord? (I have some ideas, but they are vague)

How fast will update be? In spigot I can set the protocoll version, so I could basicly "update" instantly, so my users can connect with the new clients.

Is this scenario possible?:
    I want to setup a small network with friend servers, so basicly portals from one server to another and back, but creating a single lobby server who everyone has to connect to (how BungeeCord would do it) and the whole traffic would run through this, or is it possible to directly connect to one of the "subservers" (not via the proxy) and change the server anyway?
    What I thought about is that every "subserver" has a proxy on its own, but they are linked to each other, so if a user would leave the server. Sounds confusing - I know, but basicly it is a decentralised network:

[​IMG]

Thanks
  2. Coelho

Coelho Software Engineer Staff Member Administrator Maintainer

Why should you use LilyPad:
    > LilyPad is fresh, new, and has a ton of functionality for developers to take advantage of. I would rather not compare it directly with BungeeCord, but I can tell you that LilyPad's performance is extremely optimized and it can hold a tremendous amount of players.

How fast would it be:
    > I normally update LilyPad a few days before a Minecraft release (because of snapshosts), however if there is an unexpected release you may experience a delay. I will have a system in place for this soon so you can update yourself quickly if need be.

Is this scenario possible:
    > The proxy is not a hub. LilyPad allows you to direct different domains towards different hubs if need be, as hubs are just an ordinary minecraft server with portals. LilyPad also allows having multiple proxies on one network, however it is not possible and considered bad practice to have one proxy connect to another proxy, as at that point you are simply wasting resources and not recognizing the simplicity LilyPad is supposed to bring.
  3. Maddis

Maddis New Member

I know that the hub is not equal to the proxy, the arrows are showing should show flow of data.
    What if I remove Proxy @ Hoster 2 and 3 and just let the servers connect to proxy 1, but allow people to directly join the IP (without using the proxy), would they still be possible to use the portals?

(I guess not) :p

Is there any documentation yet?
  4. Coelho

For development? There's actually quite a bit.
    So lets say you have Proxy A and you have the domains pvp.blah.com and survival.blah.com. Then you have Server PvP, Server Hub, and Server Survival. In LilyPad, you direct the domain * towards hub, pvp.blah.com towards pvp, and survival.blah.com towards survival.

Makes sense?
  5. Maddis

Maddis New Member

Found it.

I know how that works. Problem is that I personally want to use a hub system like you descripted for my server. I know that I can use LilyPad for that, but here is the tricky part:
    I am friends with 2 other really awesome servers, which are completly autonomous systems, but we decided that we would like to have some kind of server partnership, which means that we have portals which lead to each other. Problem is that we don't want it that the complete traffic goes via one server (which needs to send the packets not only to localhost, but to some server some where else in Germany).
    So I am basicly looking for a solution for the second part for a while now.
  6. Coelho

What you would do is simple.

You have one centralized distributed Connect server. Then, you have two distributed Proxy servers, one on each dedicated server. Each proxy has it's own username and password in the Connect server, and they synchronize via the Connect server.

The destination for Proxy A is Server A, while the destination for Proxy B is Server B. Both Proxy A and Proxy B are synchronized with Connect. Server A and B are connected to Connect.
    Does that make sense?

The only thing that can not be decentralized is Connect.
  7. Maddis

Maddis New Member

Which kind of data (and how much) will Connect send?

I guess thats what I wanted. I was sure that there need to be some kind of server connection, but the traffic of the players is the issue here
  8. Coelho

Connect uses as little as 40 bytes a second. It's a very optimized protocol. Of course, it entirely depends what you're doing with it.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Matt

Matt Forum Moderator & Contributor Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Marked as solved and locked

Please open a new topic for further questions
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.