1. Welcome to LilyPad. Download the project, explore the forums, and create your own LilyPad network.

If you use the software and enjoy it or have a question, or would like to contribute to the future of the software directly or through resources, please sign up and join our little community.

"Distributed" Proxies

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by RoboMWM, Jul 7, 2014.

1. RoboMWM

RoboMWM New Member

Hello,
    My friend and I each currently have a server setup, resulting in a total of two servers on two different IPs.

What I would *not* want to do is:
    •Setup a hub server
    •Setup a central proxy
    •Use a round-robin DNS
    •Enable "seamless/automatic" server teleportation
    •Maintain the same set of plugins/plugin-related features across servers

What I would like to do is allow synchronization of a player's inventory (and health) as the user [manually] teleports between servers. Since the Bukkit plugins that used to do these are now inactive (unless you are aware of an active/working one), I was looking into how this could be handled; one idea that struck me was the idea of "distributed" proxies. I've read that Lilypad was built with distributed proxies in mind. Since I am new to Lilypad, I'd like to know if this is possible/a rough example of how this might work, and/or a comparison to how Bungeecord would handle this scenario (I would assume it involves using Redisbungee).

Thank you for your time!

(I have also posted this at Spigot: http://www.spigotmc.org/threads/distributed-proxies.22944/ )
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  2. The_Zip

The_Zip Active Member Resource Contributor

In my opinion your best option would be to use a mysql server to synchronize your players inventory and health, the one suggested on the spigot forums http://www.spigotmc.org/resources/playersql.552/ is a reliable one though there are plenty of them out there. Than to keep your two separate servers and two different IP's, I am assuming you are using domains, you can have one going to one server and the other going to the other. An example of how you could have this setup is seen below:

Code (text):
    connect:
      address: 127.0.0.1:5091
      credentials:
        username: example
        password: example
    proxy:
      bind: :25565
      routes:
      - domain: mc.thezip.us
        server: yourserver
      - domain: mc.robo.com
        server: yourfriendserver
      locale:
        full: The server seems to be currently full. Try again later!
        offline: The requested server is currently offline. Try again later!
        loggedIn: You seem to be logged in already. Try again later!
        lostConn: Lost connection... Please try to reconnect
        shutdown: The server is being restarted. Please try to reconnect
      motd: A LilyPad Server
      maxPlayers: 1
      authenticate: true
  3. RoboMWM

RoboMWM New Member

Thank you for the plugin suggestion.

As for the setup, the issue is that I don't want all traffic going through one place. (I'm aware this will break the "automatic" server-to-server teleportation.) I'm wondering as to how LilyPad would sync the plugins across "multiple proxies," in regards to the effect I want to create (items and health transfer, only thing client has to do is manually connect to the other server). I don't see much, if any documentation on this for Lilypad.
  4. The_Zip

I'm confused on what exactly you are trying...

Maybe explain a walkthrough, or try to go more in-depth. You mention sync plugin across multiple proxies, by syncing plugins across multiple proxies are you referring to another plugin other than the one already suggested with item inventory and health? And you also said multiple proxies documentation, you can read more about it here: http://www.lilypadmc.org/threads/multiple-proxies.596/ .
  5. RoboMWM

RoboMWM New Member

I'd like users to choose which server they can connect to, and to be fed a direct connection to it, allowing network traffic from the server to the client to be as direct as possible. If they wish to "teleport" to another server, they would go through the appropriate gate (or perhaps a command) and be kicked from the server with a message stating the appropriate server's IP address/name (the server is mainly for our friends so we don't expect this to be much of an issue.) Their inventory and health should "teleport" with them to the other server.

Thank you for the link, I tried searching "distributed proxies," perhaps you can add that as a tag to that post? Otherwise, it appears to be very simple and easy to setup, thanks!
  6. The_Zip

Ok, I think I finally understand.

Though your options change slightly now. When I think about it you have two options, learn java or higher someone to make exactly what you want. And your other option would be to have the players connect through the IP, than on log in display a message stating they can switch servers using a command or going through a portal.
  7. RoboMWM

RoboMWM New Member

The second option was my intended plan. Technically there's a third option, to have a client-side mod. (Although I'm not sure how modding works with the new launcher, I was on a hiatus from server hosting for about over a year.)

Thanks again for the link.