1. Welcome to LilyPad. Download the project, explore the forums, and create your own LilyPad network.

If you use the software and enjoy it or have a question, or would like to contribute to the future of the software directly or through resources, please sign up and join our little community.

Lag-spikes

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nicolai Mogensen, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Nicolai Mogensen

Nicolai Mogensen New Member

Hi guys,

we're hosting 7 servers, 4 of them are hosted at fragnet.net, and 3 of them are hosted on a dedicated server, were our cloud-server is also hosted.

But on all servers we're having lag-spikes, and we're thinking that this must be because of LilyPad?

Any solutions?
  2. Matt

Matt Forum Moderator & Contributor Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Where is every server hosted? Ping delay between the different hosts could cause the lag
    • Like Like x 1
  3. blobber0070hj

blobber0070hj Member

Hey, i'm the owner of the server.
    It is not the ping. Because, 3 of our servers are located on the same machine, as the cloud server, and they lagg too.

When I restart the Cloud-server the lag-spikes doesn't come at the first one hour or so. Then they start to come regularly with approx of 2 seconds

We are running Cloud, and the 3 other servers at a Linux (Ubuntu)
    The cloud has up to 5 GB of dedicated RAM
  4. The_Zip

The_Zip Active Member Resource Contributor

@blobber0070hj and @Nicolai Mogensen
    And how much ram are you running the servers on your VPS? And do who is your host for the cloud? Or the specs of the server you are running it on? I don't know if thats your problem, however, I don't believe it is LillyPad, or other people would also be having the same issues. But keep us posted and we can find your problem and help you fix it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. blobber0070hj

blobber0070hj Member

Hello,
    We are hosting the cloud + the 3 servers on my own machine. It has 14 Gb ram, and runs with about 4 Ghz.
    It only uses like 15% CPU all the time.. - So its not the machine
    My net-speed is 50 Download / 50 Upload - So its not that either
    The 3 servers on my own machine runs with about 1.5 Gb ram each.

We have 2 big servers running on Fragnet.net - One of them has 8 Gb Ram, and the other one has 6 Gb Ram
    The other servers, also runs on fragnet, and has 1.5~2.5 Gb Ram

The servers on Fragnet at located in Sweden, and my own machine are located in Denmark
    But as i said before, i dont think its the ping that is the problem, because the 3 servers on my own machine has lag-spikes too..

Its not block-breaking lagg, and the monsters and animals doesnt lagg too. Its ONLY player-movement..
  6. hamzaxx

hamzaxx Member

We can't really help you unless you have some kind or error.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. The_Zip

@hamzaxx is right, if you have errors, I was presuming that if you had any they would be posted.

If you don't have any @blobber0070hj , the first thing I would do would be to try and identify where your problem is coming from. So, if you naturally assume its LilyPad, maybe its someway you set it up, and I would reset it up. If that doesn't work, I would try maybe running one of your server by itself without lily, see if than it has it, and other things that are not coming off the top of my head. The goal is to try and figure out where your problem is coming from, and than we can help guide you in the direction of what to do next.
  8. Coelho

Coelho Software Engineer Staff Member Administrator Maintainer

What command are you using to start it?
  9. blobber0070hj

blobber0070hj Member

@The_Zip I have tried all of that.. Nothing seems to work
    (I dont get any errors)
  10. blobber0070hj

blobber0070hj Member

#!/bin/sh
    BINDIR=$(dirname "$(readlink -fn "$0")")
    cd "$BINDIR"
    java -XX:+UseParNewGC -Xms4G -Xmx5G -jar Server-Standalone-AllInOne.jar
  11. Coelho

Coelho Software Engineer Staff Member Administrator Maintainer

Can you set Xms to 1G? Also, how many players are you getting on this?
  12. blobber0070hj

blobber0070hj Member

Up to 120 players each day
  13. The_Zip

I believe he is talking at one time, on average @blobber0070hj , not amount of players that would log on per day.
  14. hamzaxx

hamzaxx Member

You do realize -Xms is used to indicate the minimum amount of memory allowed to the that jar also with 120 people a max of 512 mb is enough.
  15. The_Zip

@blobber0070hj

It would also be very illogical to have your servers at Fragnet when you only are using 15% of your VPS? And why would you be paying so much for only using 15%, they are both illogical moves, and you should consider moving all you servers to your VPS, and maybe get a smaller server so you don't have lots if empty space.
  16. blobber0070hj

blobber0070hj Member

No, it's up to 120 concurrents on the cloud server, and i'm hosting the cloud server myself.
  17. blobber0070hj

blobber0070hj Member

And my own dedicated server is only used for the small servers, the vast majority of my playerbase is playing on my fragnet servers.
  18. The_Zip

Ah, ok. Is the lag fixed now due to @Coelho and @hamzaxx ? Or are you still having some issues?
  19. blobber0070hj

blobber0070hj Member

Well, we haven't noticed any lagg the last few days, so i think it has fixed itself - Pretty wierd
  20. The_Zip

Sounds good! If you feel like your servers good in a few more days, remember to come back here and post so the mods can lock it up.