1. Welcome to LilyPad. Download the project, explore the forums, and create your own LilyPad network.

If you use the software and enjoy it or have a question, or would like to contribute to the future of the software directly or through resources, please sign up and join our little community.

Planned Documentation - More user friendly

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Expo, May 1, 2014.

1. Expo

Expo New Member

I have noticed lilypad lacks proper documentation. I assume growth is wanted and this really limits that. Better documentation would also answer commonly asked questions. While the setup tutorials are good, proper config documentation would be better. Basically this documentation would explain everything lilypad(how to connect servers, setup proxies, which plugins go on which server, etc). It needs to be a walk through of EVERY option and explain it. For a software to be successful, it needs to be easily understandable and explained well and lilypad lacks that.

Td;lr Lilypad needs proper instructions and documentation for the project to expand.
  2. The_Zip

The_Zip Active Member Resource Contributor

I am quite confused on who are what your thinking. You come to this community and criticize it, yes it's constructive but in my opinion your arguments are invalid. In this case you say that our documentation lacks, when it doesn't. Lilypad is very easy to configure, especially with GoLilyPad. Infact, we have not had one person ask on the forums about help with configuring. That's the point of LilyPad, simple and easy to use.

And for furtive reference, this a COMMUNITY no one is stopping you from helping it out. If you want to make some more documentation, do it. If you want to help develop it, do it. If you want to help people with questions, do it.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Coelho

Coelho Software Engineer Staff Member Administrator Maintainer

I agree. We need to work on better documentation.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. The_Zip

Two things, what do you think about adding a wiki plugin? There is no real one that would fit (smallish) the size of our information. They all seem to be included for rather large amounts of information.

And second, how about we list out what we need. Divide and concur to add to it. And @Matt , whatever happened to that wiki you were working on?
  5. Matt

Matt Forum Moderator & Contributor Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I was thinking about the same idea, my wiki :). I spoke @Coelho again about it, we have to rewrite a lot before we release it still. Any help would be appreciated :)
  6. Expo

Expo New Member

You have been with lilypad for a long time, of course it is simple for you. You do not see people asking for help because they feel it is too complex. As a server owner, software creator, etc you have to think if it will make sense to a wide spectrum of people. Whenever I do something, I always do the grandma test. What is that? It determines whether this software can be explained to your grandma who is not the best with technology. While it may seem silly it is an effective method.

As for helping out the community, I plan to. I myself have not looked any of the configs and do not exactly know what I am doing. While I could figure it out by testing, that is an immediate turn off for many people. This whole thread is meant to benefit lilypad. I am a fan of the community already, but it is easily expandable by adding sufficient documentation.
  7. The_Zip

Well, we should start deciding and concurring on what we should do, than do it. Off the top of my mind the only things I can think of are:
    • About LilyPad
    • Frequently Asked Questions
    • Features
    • Trouble Shooting
    • Library - API
    • How to set up LilyPad
    Anyone have any other ideas?
  8. idespam

idespam New Member

i'm a business analyst who writes specifications and documentation as a profession.

i totally agree with @Expo and hereby I offer my help.
    • Winner Winner x 1